How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11149
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been married 9 years. I have found out my husband

Customer Question

Hi I have been married 9 years. I have found out my husband has been seeing escorts for past 3 years, could be more. We are both Scottish, we have no children. I gave up my car, home, job to travel with my husband for past 10 years. We don't own property. We have been renting a home in Cyprus for past two years. My husband works overseas, 28 days at home, 28 days away. We both have uk bank accounts although, I don't have anything in mine. He gives me an allowance each month. However we are in Aberdeen at the moment and he is going to put my name on his bank account be t week. I want to know where I stand if I go through with a divorce. Am I entitled to alimony?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this. The relevant law is the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985. Under that Act you are each entitled to a fair share of all assets acquired during the marriage with the exception of anything gifted or inherits by either of you from a third party. A fair share usually means an equal share. If you are not working or if you are but earn substantially less than him and have costs and expenses to meet then you will be entitled to from him. Happy to discuss any specific points further with you. I hope that helps in the meantime. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I will be returning to uk with no home, is he liable to pay me alimony so I can rent property until I find myself a job.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
According to the law of Scotland he has to ailment you according you your respective needs and resources so yes, if he has the means that would be a competent application.