31090051

Is it appropriate doctor to give a statement stating

Is it appropriate for a doctor to give a statement stating that a 96 year old man is of sound mind to make decisions on his estate.
when he is in and out of hospital with chest infections putting him in a confused state.
Could she be reported for this or made to retract her letter.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. The doctor is giving an expression of opinion. If you think that opinion is wrong then you can challenge it, usually by seeking a second opinion from another doctor. If you prove that the doctor was wrong then that may give grounds for complaint to the doctor's professional body or employer as appropriate.
I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.