31090051

I purchased a transit van in a private sale off an advert

Hi. I purchased a transit van in a private sale off an advert on Gumtree on the 16th April 2015. On August the 28th the Police came and confiscated the vehicle as a previous owner had reported it as stolen in July 2015. The story I have been given is that the original owner had gave the vehicle to a 3rd party to repair and prepare for selling, during him repairing the vehicle allegedly someone stole the vehicle and paperwork and sold it onto the person I eventually purchased it from. What I would like to know is where I stand legally and how to go about trying to get either the £3900 I paid for the vehicle or the vehicle itself back?
Regards,
Graeme
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately you can't get a good title to stolen property however many hands the article passes through.
Your remedy is to demand from and tif necessary sue the person you "bought" it from for the price you paid.
The price is such that you would raise proceedings using the summary cause forms for the sheriff court which are online at www.scotcourts.gov.uk.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.