31090051

I intend to leave the marital home due to irreconcilable differences.

Customer Question

I intend to leave the marital home due to irreconcilable differences. I cannot leave until I find suitable accommodation for myself. I was considering buying a property. I have some savings which I would use towards a deposit but how would this stand using this as a deposit when it comes to any divorce proceedings in the future. Would my husband have any claim to this property.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Your husband would have no claim to a property you bought following separation. However, if you use money derived from during the period of the marriage you would have to account for that in your ultimate financial settlement with your husband except if the Maloney was inherits by you or gifted to you from a third party. Happy to discuss further.