31090051

My wife parked my car in a Euro car park in Motherwell, Scotland.

Customer Question

My wife parked my car in a Euro car park in Motherwell, Scotland. The original 'parking charge notice' was £40.00 for not parking in a marked parking bay. We have now received a second letter for an 'outstanding balance' of £80.00. What should I do?
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife parked my car in a Euro car park in Motherwell, Scotland. The original 'parking charge notice' was £40.00 for not parking in a marked parking bay. I (as owner of the car) have now received a second letter for an 'outstanding balance' of £80.00. What should I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Euro Car Parks is a private company running and operating public car park.
After looking at and reading many blogs, the general concensus is to throw the 'charge notice' and any correspondence in the bin and ignore unless you have a court summons. However even that is very remote for such a puny amount of money.
From what I gather in Scots Law these companies have little or no power in Scotland.
However I want to be 100% sure this is the case.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
They have to prove a contract whereby you knew about their terms and conditions and breached them by parking in an unmarked bay. They are unlikely to be able to prove that you knew about their terms and conditions. If it was me, I would certainly ignore it. The chances of them going to court are slim, for that amount of money. There is also no basis for them to double the charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** need to investigate if there is a sign within the carpark. Will get back to you soon.
Alasdair
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
There will be signage. The question is whether it's reasonable for you to have known about it.