31090051

I have lived with my partner years the house belongs

I have lived with my partner for 10 years the house belongs to him but I have been paying everything fir the last 2 years we are splitting up and he has sold the house am I entitled to anything
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  hhlaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.Please confirm if you are married and if you have any children with your partner.Have there been any agreements regarding your contributions creating a share of the property for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not married or have any children together and no agreement
Expert:  hhlaw replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. Legally as you are unmarried and the property is in his sole name with no formal agreement you are not entitled to a share of the property unless your partner is willing to voluntarily reimburse you for your contributions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was under the impression in Scottish Law that if you have lived together for more than 2 years you were classed the same as a married couple
Expert:  hhlaw replied 1 year ago.
Apologies, it was not clear that you are in Scotland. If this is the case, I will opt out and allow a colleague who specialise s in Scottish law to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did press on the tab scotyish law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When am I going to get an answer after paying my money
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I have alerted our Scots Law Experts to your question.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this. Cohabiting couples are not treated the same as married couples. You have no automatic right to a share of the house if it is only owned by your ex partner. However if you have contributed to the house, or more generally, to the relationship in such a way that you have been financially disadvantaged and your partner has been correspondingly advantaged, then you would be entitled to go to court and claim a capital payment by way of compensation. The law here is section 26 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006 and there are case authorities online such Gow v Grant which can illustrate the law works in such cases. A claim has to be made within one year of the date of your separation. I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.