31090051

I have Lived with my partner in a house owned by him

I have Lived with my partner in a house owned by him for 7 years. We are going to split up and I want to know if I have any rights to the house or contents, or will I have to walk away with nothing
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. Please may I ask: - have you contributed financially towards the property?- do you have children together? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no children together, I have contributed and paid for items for the house and paid for decorating, landscaped the garden, furnished the house.
Hello I am sorry - I have just noticed that you are in Scotland. I am a Solicitor in England and I understand the Laws are different. I will opt out so that one of my colleagues may assist you. Kind Regards Caroline
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this. Under Scots law all the household items are deemed to be owned equally. As far as the house is concerned if it is in joint names then the general rule is that it would be equal shares. If it is in just his name then you would still be able to claim a financial settlement based on your contribution to the property. Whilst you would not have a claim on the title to the house you would have a claim for a capital payment based on your contribution and compensation for that contribution in the interests of your partner or any children of the relationship. Such a claim has to be made within a year of your separating. Happy to discuss further.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.