31090051

My colleagues & I were doing a job family,building a

My colleagues & I were doing a job for a family,building a house,we are stonemasons. This was a cash job with a verbal agreement just to build the Stonework-nothing else. The family had us loading stone up 4 floors of scaffolding,moving the scaffolding & other various jobs that were not ours to do.one of our first conversations with the family we were told that there would be a forklift on site for the duration of the job & there wasn't.So we had a fall out about extra money that we thought we should have been paid for the hours we spent doing this unpaid work. During our argument,our two party's couldn't come to an agreement over the issue. We were told not to come back to site as they had a stonemason who was going to finish the job. At this point we thought our verbal had finished. It's now a year later & we are getting emails threatening us with court action because there is mortar in the cavity & various other bits & pieces to rectify. Which we would have done had we been paid for the work we had done & not been told to get off site. The amount of money that was owed to my two colleagues & I was approximately £7000. We were to accommodating & feel the family took advantage of us. But we are not willing to go back & fix these problems as we were told to leave & not come back. Any help would be appreciated thank you
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello how much do you think it would cost to fix these issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I honestly don't know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The woman was in charge of the site & we feel that she was out of her depth & things that were not our fault she was blaming us for. So we feel as if she has something against us & is therefore trying to get something out of us. It's over a year later. We are asking ourselves why wasn't this mentioned sooner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in Scotland. If that makes any difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We class these things as snagging & would have finished them off to the specifications if we hadn't been told to leave the site & not to return. We feel that this is unfair. To ask us back when we were thrown off site
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does make a difference if you are in Scotland and I will have to move this to our Scots law section, someone will reply from there, there is no need to repsond to this as it will just assign the quesiton back to me, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I am a solicitor in Scotland. The position is that the contract ended. Someone else completed the work. You weren't paid. Snagging can't be demanded where you weren't paid. There is also an issue as whether the snagging arises from your work or the work of the second contractor. If the snagging does arise from your work then offer to do it on receipt of payment for work carried out.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.