31090051

I have been a tenant renting office accommodation

Customer Question

I have been a tenant renting office accommodation for over 8 years from a Landlord who owns an office block in a Business Park.
I moved to bigger offices on the premises some 2 years ago and this has led to numerous 'complaints' about my tenancy. These complaints are bordering on the ridiculous and also I have been charged for property issues when there is NO PROOF that my clients were involved.
Since I own a business, my livliehood is being threatened but I feel that my landlord is bullying and harrassing me in order to get rid of me since the 'market' has picked up.
I am keen to move but it may take some time.
How do I get this unfair treatment sorted?
Do I, as a tenant, have any rights?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.
Can you give me the detail of these complaints etc?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am a former Headteacher and run a tutoring centre for students aged 5 - 18.
The nature of the complaints is, in my view, trivial.
*Poo was smeared in a toilet cubicle. My students were blamed and I was charged for a 'special clean' even though other tenants bring children into the premises and a 'call centre' operates from upstairs and many of their workers wander about unsupervised
* after 6 years of tenancy, I have been subject over the past couple of years to numerous emails complaining that children can't use the toilets unsupervised; my clients make a noise coming along the corridors; that my office door is open and the noise disturbs other clients; since there is no buzzer entry system (only a receptionist who leaves around 4pm/5pm) all clients have been told not to allow my clients into the building unless a member of my staff allows them in - this results in adults/students being left outside in poor weather until I let them in; the cleaner tells students to get out of the toilets to let him in to clean (teenage girls who are menstruating); the cleaner also threatened to hit one of my parents who yold him off for bullying some students as they left the building. It genuinely is incessant at the moment. I have asked for a meeting to discuss issues from my pov but this has been refused. I want to leave BUT don't want to destroy my hard-earned client base by moving to an unsuitable place because I'm neing bullied out. What rights do I have because I need to buy some time
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.
If the user clause in your lease says that the premises you lease are to be used for tutoring, and indeed, you have been using premises here for a good number of years, then they can't complain about that nor can they "add" things into the lease obligations such as your students being accompanied. The bullying and harassment would be in breach of the landlords obligations to allow the tenant peaceful enjoyment of the premises. As regards ***** ***** the toilets they need reasonable evidence that your students were the cause of this. You should have your lawyer write a detailed letter refuting the allegations and outlining the landlord's potential breaches of the lease. The letter should point out your right to claim damages for breach in the event they affect your business by acting in this way. You are better to have a record of this in writing rather than seek a meeting but the letter should record that a meeting was requested and not taken up.
Expert:  JGM replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if I can help you further with this. Can you also remember to leave a positive feedback on the system so that the site credits me for my time. Thanks for using JustAnswer.