31090051

Someone has posted a statement about my company (we are a wedding

someone has posted a statement about my company (we are a wedding venue) on facebook, saying we are in liquidation and offering the services of her employer to give quotes to any brides affected.... and hopefully book their wedding there. I suspect this falls into the 'libel' category. can I sue her and also the company she works for (I am assuming they did not know about the post). My company is not in liquidation, therefore this is a lie.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I am a solicitor in ascotland and will help you with this. As the statement is untrue you have a right to sue for defamation and damages for your losses. From your narrative there is little doubt that you would win. You can sue her. If she was acting in the course of her employment when doing the untrue post you can sue the company too. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. How do I proceed with this? The post has gone viral, I kept a screenshot of it, and she has now taken it down and printed an apology. The damage is already done though. The post was up for 6 hours before it was brought to my attention.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
In the first instance you see a solicitor to intimat a formal claim. Then you will have to try to assess whether you have suffers any financial loss, actual or potential. If people have cancelled on you as a result then that is fairly straightforward. However, it could be more difficult to assess loss of potential business. You would have to see if there is any marked difference in your revenue over the period you could expect to be affected. Clearly the less time the post was up the less damage that has been done. An early apology will also mitigate the situation and in terms of the law would provide them with some favour were the matter to go to litigation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and how do I claim against the company?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
In the same way; in writing via your solicitor.