How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11565
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My home was raided by the police and a small amount of drugs

Customer Question

My home was raided by the police and a small amount of drugs and cash was found in my sons bag. My husband and I were asked if we had any cash in the house and my husband directed them to a savings tin he had. Police took it and told him during interview that he would get it back in a few days. He has not and we don't know what to do about it. We are in Scotland
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
In the first instance you should complain to the duty inspector at your local police station. If that does not work then you should write to the procurator fiscal with a complaint. The point to be made is that a tin of coins for savings is very unlikely to be money connected with the investigation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was more than a tin off coins, there was a lot of notes and euros in it. We have been saving for a year
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Even so, it is a tin of money in the manner that many people have such a thing. You should follow the answer above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you advise on how to word this , i know to write the facts but I'm not good at this sort of letter writing. Thanks so very much
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Dear Sir, on (date) police officers attended my home and carried out a search, finding drugs and cash in a bag belonging to my son. At their request I told them that there was other cash in the house in a savings tin belonging to my wife and me. The police removed this tin and its contents but said they would be returned in a matter of days. This was not done and and I am writing to you to seek its return as the money is required by me. Can you please let me have your early reply. Your faithfully, (name and address).