31090051

If a sherriff was suspended from duty, but still practiced

Customer Question

If a sherriff was suspended from duty, but still practiced as a lawyer in a case, would the integrity of this lawyer be in question, or the validity of the final conclusion of the case be in question, given the questionable nature of the individuals circumstances?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
No, if the solicitor has a practising certificate and insurance, his suspension as a sheriff is irrelevant. Why would the validity of a decision by another judge be in question? Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. Excuse my ignorance, I hadn't considered that in my thought process when drafting my question. I clearly don't question the decision of another judge. So if you can bear with me, would the validity of the outcome of any case they were involved in be in question if they were found to be involved in a fraud case at a later date, albeit the circumstances of which occurred many years prior, and didn't come to light whilst practicing as a solicitor after they were suspended as a sherriff whilst under investigation?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
No, if the solicitor is licensed to practice and conducts the case in a competent manner any personal history would be irrelevant to the case unless you have any specific matter that you think may be of relevance.