31090051

Partner has moved out but left her vast amount of furniture

Customer Question

partner has moved out but left her vast amount of furniture and belongings it has been over 2 months she keeps saying she will remove them but nothing happens. we have a joint mortgage but estate agent says the property will have to be decluttered before it goes on the market. what rights do I have if any to give her notice to remove them or I will
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
As the house is owned jointly she is entitled to have her belongings there and if you remove the items you cannot dispose of them otherwise she could sue you for damages. The best and probably only way of dealing with this is to give her notice that you will have to put her belongings into paid storage and that you will be taking the cost of this from her share of the sale proceeds. It should be put to her that unless her things are moved out of the house, the estate has expressed the opinion that any sale price achieved would be less. That should motivate her to do something about this, one would hope. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for information it is helpful to know I have asked this question on behalf of my son No further questions
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.