31090051

Prior to 1954, was it required under Scots Law to adopt

Prior to 1954, was it required under Scots Law to adopt a child conceived out of wedlock if the natural parents married after the birth of the child? For instance if the child was born in 1948 and the parents married in 1949.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards
Scott Rodgers
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have applied for a full extract of my Scots birth certificate and have been informed that I am recorded as adopted. I was born in 1948 and know that my mother was previously married. I am also aware that my parents did not marry until after my birth. I have been informed that my adoption took place in April 1953 at the Pert, Angus office. Hope this additional information assists?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
If the parents married after the passing of the Legitimation (Scotland) Act 1968 then any child previously born to them as illegitimate would become legitimate on the passing of the Act. In addition to that any child whose parents were already married by 1968 would become legitimate on the date when the Act was passed in 1968. It was not required that a child born out of wedlock be adopted but that was reasonably common. Again the Act of 1968, which you can read online, provided that you could apply to have the adoption order revoked where the Act legitimised someone. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt and concise response. Your answer has fully clarified the reasoning of my question.
Excellent service provided by you.
Best regards
Scott