31090051

My husband of 14 years emailed me 2 weeks ago and said basically

My husband of 14 years emailed me 2 weeks ago and said basically we werent getting on and he has someone else. We have no children. What are my rights.He is still living here but moving out in about 4 weeks. We sold our house last year due do quite a lot of debt and are now in rented accomodation. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks. Caroline.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  hhlaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to full assist you:-Are you in England or Wales?-What other assets and liabilities do you both have, including pensions and debts?-What are your respective asset positions?-How old are you both?-Is your current property rented?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we are in Scotland. We currently have no debt, we are in rented accomodation. No real assets to speak of. Im 54years old and he is 52. I only started paying pension about 12 years ago whereas his has been going all his working life. Since about aged 16-17.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O
Expert:  hhlaw replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will opt out and allow a colleague who specialises in Scots Law to assist.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
From what you say, and from the length of your marriage, the general position would be that all assets and liabilities owned by both or either of you and which have accrued during the marriage, except anything gifted to either of you or inherited from a third party, would fall to be split equally between you. That would include money, investments, pensions; basically all property accrued during the marriage. It may also be the case that if one of you earns a lot more than the other, that maintenance may have to be paid for a period. Happy to discuss any specific issue. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.