31090051

A group of Namibians in Scotland

Customer Question

A group of Namibians in Scotland want to establish a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation, whose goal would be to promote Namibian heritage. It is a rather small constituency: fewer that a dozen. Do you think this is feasible? I am concerned that the main beneficiaries are those who want to be involved.
Alan ******* (Honorary Consul of Namibia in Scotland)
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
A SCIO is generally the best way to proceed with the formation of a charity, particularly where it is small and you don't want to have to run a company and a charity as two vehicles. The SCIO is the hybrid vehicle that allows you to do both. I presume that by promoting the heritage there is potential for bringing that heritage to a wide group of people even if those directly relating to the charitable works is small. You would have to let me have a fuller description of what would be involved and what the various people would be doing. Happy to discuss further.