31090051

I work scotland. a colleague accessed a crime report

Customer Question

i work for police scotland. a colleague accessed a crime report in the police systems that was about me. he then announced it to my whole team of colleagues. has my data protection been breached and has he committed a crime against me?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
From your brief narrative this could be a breach of data protection legislation. Under Section 21(2) of the Data Protection Acts, it is an offence for any data processor, or for any employee or agent of his, to knowingly disclose personal data without the prior authority of the data controller on whose behalf the data were processed. I assume the colleague was not authorised to access the report and that even if he was he wasn't authorised to disclose it in the manner that he did. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.