31090051

I am a dog sitter in Scotland and a dog had an accident when

Customer Question

I am a dog sitter in Scotland and a dog had an accident when it ran into a door, the owner accepts it was an accident but claims i am liable for the vets fees? I was not negligent in an way. Am I automatically liable?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
No there is no automatic liability for this kind of thing under Scots law. The owner has to establish that you ar negligent. I don't see how you could be negligent where a dog runs into a door unless the door itself was unsafe. Happy to discuss. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** company had advised me that I was automatically liable as I was paid to care for the dog. The owner is seeking legal advise so I assume he will be advised the same?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Nonsense. Where in the law of Scotland does it say that you are liable for something that isn't your fault? It doesn't.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, you have put my mind at rest. I could have easily paid the £50 bill but it was his allegation that I had mistreated his dog that was more upsetting and I couldnt accept that. I wonder whether a solicitor will send me communication, even just to see if a threatening letter will make me pay. I will defend myself with this knowledge, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In your opinion, what advice would a solicitor give to the owner..should I be expecting a letter?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I would be advising that unless the other party has been negligent there is no claim. If you get a letter let me know and we can deal with that.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
The solicitor would be advising that negligence would need to be proved. Let me know if you gat a letter and I can tell you how to reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** do.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
OK