31090051

I AM A PERSON WITH CAPACITY WHO DUE TO MS IS LIVING IN A CARE

i AM A PERSON WITH CAPACITY WHO DUE TO MS IS LIVING IN A CARE FACILITY & WANTS TO SELF MEDICATE, WHAT IS THE LAW REGARDING THIS MATTER?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain what you want to use to self medicate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiya sorry I was less than clear. I am referring to the medication I have prescribed by the GP & which is all taken orally. Hope that is clearer.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. If the GP has prescribed you medication what is your concern about this? Is it simply that the care home might want to take the medication and dole it out to you instead of letting you have it in your room?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The staff have my medication which they give to me but seem less than keen to let me self medicate. Stating that my medicine would have to be kept in a locked box with staff having to physically take the medication from the locked box so therefore my wish to self medicate becomes a pointless exercise however my understanding is that if I wish to self medicate I am entitled to ask for assistance, which in this case would be taking my tablets from a locked box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is that I do not want staff at this care facility to give me my medication while I am still able to do it myself & I am simply asking asking if the law states that I can do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I still am not sure re the answer to my question which is by law am legally allowed to take my medication & keep it in my room & ask for assistance to get my medication from a locked cupboard?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
By law there is nothing to prevent you doing this. The care home can insist on Health and Safety grounds to keep the medication locked away but they should provide it to you on demand and again there is nothing to stop the medication being locked in your room. That is what most private hospitals do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very muchRegards
Pauline