31090051

We received an initial estimate to be carried out,

We received an initial estimate for works to be carried out, and shortly afterwards a revised estimate (after we decided to do less work) from a tradesman to install a new kitchen and central heating system. In both estimates there was a total cost and in the the second estimate it stated very clearly:
To supply and install the kitchen will be £5665.00
To supply and install the new combi boiler and radiators will be £2744.00.
On completion of the work, the company has now issued two invoices (seperate for kitchen and heating) that now include VAT on top of the agreed figures. When challenging the cost, they have justified this by saying they are VAT registered and are therefore required to charge VAT - and that they include their VAT number on all documents. On looking back at the documents they sent us, they do include their VAT registration number - but there is no mention of 'these prices do not include VAT, or + VAT, or VAT exempt)
We are not a business, we are individuals -so cannot claim the VAT back. It seems misleading and is an extra £1600 that we need to find. My understanding is that they needed to clearly state the VAT price. We would not have gone with these tradesmen if we'd know of this extra cost to ourselves as it is now over our budget!
We accepted the work based on the total prices they provided us. By law, do we now have to pay this VAT cost that was unknow to us or not agreed?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
The documents you describe comprise the contract and are quite clear what the price is to be. If they don't specify the Vat in this type of contract then their quoted price will be deemed to include Vat. You should resist the additional claim. The fact that they quote their Vat registration number on their paperwork is in fact additional evidence that the price is inclusive of Vat and that you are entitled to assume that. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify that *quit = NOT
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
No, I mean, and edited the word, to say "quite" clear. If they don't specify the Vat you can assume the quoted price is Vat inclusive.