31090051

I bought a house with my partner in Aug 2013 we split last

Customer Question

Hi I bought a house with my partner in Aug 2013 we split last year in Feb 2015 he left I was paying the mortgage and the life insurance once he left the house got changed into my name on 11aug 2015 I phoned the life insurance that day to get him removed from the policy they said they needed his permission so I gave the company his phone no I have been paying this policy all this time he committed suicide on 24 August 2015 and the policy was still live I have been paid out as I was the joint policy holder his kids have now found out about this and I have had a letter from their solicitor asking details about the policy do I legally need to give this information and will they be able to make a claim against me
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. As the policy was joint, you would be entitled to the proceeds of the policy, assuming the policy was written in standard terms. The policy would be nothing to do with your ex partner's estate and you would not have a claim against you. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's what I thought but her solicitor has wrote to me asking for policy details and how much I had been paid out he says that he has to check it hasn't to be in his estate by law do I need to give this info to that solicitor
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I can see why he is asking that but as you were the beneficiary of a joint policy and you have actually been paid by the insurance company, he doesn't need the information.