31090051

My daughter was doing an apprentice hairdressing bein paid

Customer Question

My daughter was doing an apprentice hairdressing bein paid cash in hand with no pay slip. It didn't work out so she left and is not entitled to dole money as no National insurance paid. She was earning £125 a week. Is this right?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
You only pay NIC if you earn over £155 per week. If you earn between £112 and £155 contributions are treated as having been paid so as protect your NIC record. However the DSS will need proof of earnings. Your daughter is entitled to a Statement of her earnings so, no, the employer hasn't acted correctly. Your daughter should see a legal aid lawyer and get him or her to write to the employer demanding the appropriate paperwork. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
No, she is entitled to a statement of her earnings. She doesn't pay NIC until her earnings exceed £155 per week but evidence of that is required. She will qualify for legal aid and should see an employment lawyer immediately so that an appropriate letter can be written to the employer. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.