31090051

My Dad married a woman just over a year ago,

Hi, my Dad married a woman just over a year ago, for financial security for the woman. (she gets the pension and 1/3rd of any money in bank. They continued to live separately in their own homes. My Dad has recently died, leaving his house to my sister and I. However no mention in his will about the contents and his wife now wants a 3rd? Do we need to agree to this or as all the items were purchased before marriage, can we say no, where do we stand?. Thanks (We live in Scotland)
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
A widow is entitled to one third of all moveable property and that includes household contents. However, the usual way of dealing with that is to give her a third of the value, not the actual items. The date of purchase doesn't matter in an inheritance situation. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.