31090051

Can youplease tell me the difference between the repossession

Hi can youplease tell me the difference between the repossession procedures/laws there are in Scotland and England?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything in particular you want to know. I am a lawyer in Scotland and can tell you about the procedures in Scotland. However the land laws in England are very different and a lawyer there would have to answer any issues about English law. Let me know what I can help you with under Scots law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - i was just wanting to know what process/timing a lender has to allow for if looking to reposses and how this differs in England to Scotland.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you tell me the scots rules then I'll also ask an English one
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for replying. I've done some research for you and I think the best place to go for advice on both Scots and English law are the websites of Shelter Scotland and Shelter England. That way you can find out about both jurisdictions. The procedure in Scotland, after initial letters and calls, is by way of a calling up notice which formally calls up the loan and demands repayment. If repayment isn't made within two months the lender can initiate repossession proceedings in the court. The lender has to establish that it has attempted to consult with the borrower so as to avoid repossession. You can read more about calling up procedures in Scotland here: http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/repossession_of_your_home/repossession_procedures/calling_up_notice and as I say there is also an English site which will tell you about the procedures there. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.