How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11144
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My grandson 28 suffers from autism and OCD, the social work

Resolved Question:

Hi There
My grandson Mark 28 suffers from autism and OCD, the social work dept said Mark could benefit from living on his own as long as he was supervised and when needed someone could stay over, his mum, myself, and other family members stay over when needed, but it means sleeping on a chair in the living room. He is in private rented accomadation, but only qualifies for one bedroom housing benefit, is there anything in the system to allow him to get 2 bedroom benefit, He is on the care rate of DLA.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If he is disabled and needs regular overnight care he should be getting enough to pay for an extra bedroom for the carer to sleep in. If not, he could apply for a discretionary housing payment from the council to help with the higher rent for a two bedroom flat. Either way you should be approaching the council to make the necessary application. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you