How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11149
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Can I refuse to pay an adopted son money from s fathers

Resolved Question:

Can I refuse to pay an adopted son money from his fathers estate, Scottish law. If so do I need to go to court
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Under the law of Scotland an adopted child has the the same rights of succession as a natural child. So, no, you can't refuse and if you do so and you are the executor of personal representative you could end up being sued yourself for breaking the law. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The adopted child was left £69,000 by his natural parents, does this make any difference?