31090051

In 2014 a lawyer sold a property that i had a half interest

Customer Question

in 2014 a lawyer sold a property that i had a half interest in i have always been baffled because i inadvertently discovered that a few days after entry date the selling lawyer had paid a full years council tax and were due at time of payment to almost a full years refund yet previously claiming their clients had indeed no funds to sustain cost of running the said property although i was squared up on sale for the costs of running the property it still baffles me where after sale at a fixed price they and their clients a few days later had the funding to pay this sum and why they should do this considering neither i nor they were responsible to do so.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

From your narrative I have no idea why the lawyer would have done this. We don't normally get involved in council tax matters unless there are arrears and the council has taken an inhibition on the house which has to be removed before a sale can go through. I suggest that if you have no other information that would help me to answer you that you ask the lawyer for a cash statement in connection with the sale transaction. Once you see that you can ask any questions of the lawyer that remain unclear. Happy to discuss further.