31090051

We have been advised by our Solicitor (in England) to get a

We have been advised by our Solicitor (in England) to get a solicitor in Glenrothes in Fife where we live, as Scots law is different. My husband has just been awarded a payout for Clinical Negligence and we have been advised to set up a Personal Injury Trust so that his settlement money is not counted as our own capital for benefit purposes. We have had to live on benefits as he will never work again as he is classed as severely disabled. Can you please advise us what to do or who to consult. Thank You.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and I do deal with personal injury trusts. JustAnswer doesn't allow experts to take on cases personally, however. I am unaware of any solicitor in Glenrothes who deals with these as I'm not acquainted with that area. However, I can tell you that the subject of personal injury trusts is complex and you have to be sure that the solicitor you choose is able to advise on the suitability of the trust, or not as the case may be and that will depend on a number of personal factors. At the moment I think you should proceed in this way. Here is a link to an article in the Journal of the Law Society of Scotland. It will give you a few bits of general advice if you read it. However, more importantly you may want to contact the author of the article who is a solicitor in Glasgow very knowledgable about the subject and that should at least get you started. You can look up details of the firm on their website. Here is the link: http://www.journalonline.co.uk/Magazine/56-2/1009282.aspx. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.