How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11153
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have a separation agreement, but we have been told we can

Resolved Question:

I have a separation agreement, but we have been told we can amend it, what we want to know is if we can amend it, can we scrap it? My ex husband who I am still married to, but legally separated, it would be easier for us to cancel the separation, as he has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and I am caring for him, divorce is in limbo and we are trying to sort everything out so that I and my children are looked after in the future. It is not due back in court until the end of August to give us time to sort things out, obviously the truth of matter is that it would be a whole lot easier for both of us now if we were not legally separated!!
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear of your situation. However the answer to your question is good news. You can tell your respective solicitors to halt proceedings at any time and throw the separation agreement in the corner and forget about it. They will deal with the technical aspects of this but you never have to proceed if you intend to reconcile for the rest of your husband's life. You can spend your time sorting your affairs in the way that you want. Happy to discuss. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you