How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11146
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

What does it mean if an Open Decree is given as a judgment

Resolved Question:

What does it mean if an Open Decree is given as a judgment against me?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question. Open decree means decree for the whole amount outstanding with no time to pay allowed. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What are the pursuers options if you don't have the funds to pay?
Expert:  JGM replied 11 months ago.

If decree has been granted, and you haven't already asked for time to pay, you can apply to the court for time to pay. You should be able to download the appropriate form at

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have already applied for time to pay and this has been declined and a hearing date set. What else can I do?
Expert:  JGM replied 11 months ago.

Do you mean declined by the court or do you mean refused by the creditor. If the latter then you attend the hearing and put your case to the court. Generally, if the debt can be repaid in a year then the court will grant the application. If the court has refused your application already and has granted open decree I'm not sure what the hearing is you're referring to.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The application was declined by the pursuer. Can I get legal representation to put forward a payment plan to clear the amount within the year?
Expert:  JGM replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you can o strict a solicitor to appear for you at the time to pay hearing and put your proposal to the court.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for help, if I need any further assistance I will contact you soon.
Expert:  JGM replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. I will be here for you if you need any further help.