31090051

I saw a video on Facebook of a girl asking her stepdad to

Customer Question

I saw a video on Facebook of a girl asking her stepdad to legally become her dad. My stepdad has been in my life since I was only months old, and after watching that short video I wanted to make him my legal dad and give him the news at Christmas time or either his birthday, I'm only 14 almost 15 can I do that? Can I make him my legal dad with the paper works and all that?
Nicole
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 12 months ago.

That is a lovely thought and I'm sure your step dad would be delighted. Unfortunately it's not possible legally however. Your stepdad would have to apply to the court to adopt you and you would agree to that. You can't make the application. Your stepdad has to do it by going through the legal procedures. I hope he does that for both of you. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.