31090051

Have just had work undertaken by A1 Contracts of Cowdenbeath

Have just had work undertaken by A1 Contracts of Cowdenbeath and am quite shocked by the substandard work. The estimate opener stated they treat each work-site as their own home - it was left like a bomb site and have been back after 2 complaints by me and after they left on the second occassion I was still able to collect half a cement bag of rubbish as well as general dust and dirt.
During the second clean-up visit Joe Lowther (firm head) stated he was sending the invoice and said payment was due straight away - the email was received by me at 1;47pm yesterday and by 5:00pm while I was still trying to clear up I received a phone call asking why payment had not be made. I said I was still perusing the work undertaken and would deal with when I am able (in fact I had not had time to look at my emails since 7:00am so had no idea till seen that payment was due immediately).
Payment is due by bank transfer but I am loathed to pay the full invoice amount due to the substandard quality of the work and their reckless treatment of my property - as far as the work is concerned, I will probably have to pay for the materials which I also believe is of cheap quality but only if I am legally obliged so to do. I am receiving regular phone calls chasing payment today already.
Where do I stand
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me what the contract works consisted of? Can you tell me what the precise defects are? What is the contract price? How much is outstanding? In the meantime if they call say you are not making payment at the moment and are taking legal advice and they are not to call again.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the wording provided by A1 Contracts:"Hi welcome to A1contracts we are a family run firm you can
trust giving you the best unlike big firms we are small enough
to care and big enough to cope you can be rest assured that
you're property will be treat like it's our own . On speaking with
joe you decided to go for black pvc deep flow around the full
house this inc clips. universal joints.corners. T bars . Necks . To
complete job .plus to replace some slipped slate and to rebed
all ridge caps and ridge tiles with new mortar . With a pva
bonding and then to apply a resin on top of new mortar all work
inc 3 men time .materials and remover of all rubbish . Comes
with a 15 year guarantee thanks for going with A1contracts"There are little by way of defects at the moment as such but the sloppiness of the entire job is as amatuer that I could have done an equally bad job myself and I am no expert. The finish does not reflect any of the pictures in the firms gallery held on the Ratedpeople.com siteThe cost of the contract was £2500 and I did try to hold off on payment as you advised yesterday afternoon, however after various Harassing phone calls throughout yesterday, particularly after 5:00pm as I had not paid and with the threat that they would return today (Friday) to remove all materials I must admit I gave into the pressure as both my wife and I are at work all day and the house is unattended. I paid but during the arguments about me holding off on payment, Lowther did concede to accept £2000 in final settlement and I have paid this amount and this he acknowledged in 2 further phone calls after payment by bank transfer. The last phone call after 6:00pm he tried to relent and stated he was an honest man and hoped that I would not do anything legally or to deminish his 5 star rating on the site Ratepeople.com from whom I received the referral to this firm. He also said he would be happy to finance an inspection from any other firm of my choosing to supply a report on work he did as he felt sure they would all find the work "A1".Pictures of work both during and after can be provided
Expert:  JGM replied 5 months ago.

If he has accepted £2000 rather than £2500 he clearly realises the job is not as it should be. I would take him up on his offer and choose a firm to come and see the work and express an opinion.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.