31090051

Possession, family pet. my son had a girlfriend that bought

possession, family pet.
my son had a girlfriend that bought him a dog. the dog was gifted to him when she left. although he has the documents which are in her name she has sold the dog and is coming to collect it. my son has had the dog for over a year and has paid for vet booster bills. what rights does he have to keep the dog and if none what does he do to get the vet bills money back?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Does your son have copies of the vet's bills?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have them yes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'd rather type please so I can show the advice to the other party
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still there!?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello

Hi there. Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can I please have an answer?

Before I go ahead and look into this, can I just check if you are based in the UK?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am in uk Scotland yes

OK thank you. I will need to opt out so that another expert can assist you as I responded thinking you were based in England.

Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

I am a solicitor in Scotland. Assuming it can be proved that the dog was gifted from her to him he is the owner of the dog albeit the paperwork may not be up to date. A bit like gifting a car, or even a house, the title might be in the name of another but the donee can insist that the paperwork is changed once the gift or other transaction has taken place. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.