31090051

Possession, family pet. my son had a girlfriend that bought

possession, family pet.
my son had a girlfriend that bought him a dog. the dog was gifted to him when she left. although he has the documents which are in her name she has sold the dog and is coming to collect it. my son has had the dog for over a year and has paid for vet booster bills. what rights does he have to keep the dog and if none what does he do to get the vet bills money back?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Does your son have copies of the vet's bills?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have them yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd rather type please so I can show the advice to the other party
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there!?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I please have an answer?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Before I go ahead and look into this, can I just check if you are based in the UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in uk Scotland yes
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you. I will need to opt out so that another expert can assist you as I responded thinking you were based in England.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I am a solicitor in Scotland. Assuming it can be proved that the dog was gifted from her to him he is the owner of the dog albeit the paperwork may not be up to date. A bit like gifting a car, or even a house, the title might be in the name of another but the donee can insist that the paperwork is changed once the gift or other transaction has taken place. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.