31090051

My wife died 11year ago I received a cheque for her from a

Customer Question

my wife died 11year ago I received a cheque for her from a solicitor from a deceased person can I cash this cheque
thankyou
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

No you can't I'm afraid. The cheque will have to be returned. It's likely that if this deceased person died after your wife that the legacy is no longer valid. If that isn't the case for any reason (e.g. The legacy is to your wife and to her estate: which would be unusual) then the legacy would fall to your wife's estate and should go to her beneficiaries. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.