31090051

When my mother died her Will stipulated there were three

Good evening, When my mother died her Will stipulated there were three executors: a local legal firm (she had dealt with for most of her adult life), myself and my brother. The estate was wound up in April 2015 - the legal firm were asked to manage the estate on our behalf. A few days ago I received an invoice (related to the sale of her house) which apparently had been overlooked (the invoice is dated 9th March 2015). The Lawyers stated this was being forwarded for us to pay. I contacted them and queried why this was only now coming to light as well as pointing out the fees we had paid to have everything like this dealt with. I have received a reply confirming the invoice had been overlooked and it was our legal responsibility to pay. There was no apology. Do we have any recourse as I find this quite unprofessional? Regards *****
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

It is not an ideal situation but the law does allow for mistakes. As the bill was overlooked and the work was done you can be asked to pay it. The solicitors have up to five years to claim payment and they are well within that period. I'm sorry that isn't what you want to hear but that is the legal position. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.