How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11154
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My ex husband and I separated 7 years ago, we have a child.

Resolved Question:

my ex husband and I separated 7 years ago, we have a child. i have a new partner and we have bought property together, can my ex claim any part of it as we are not officially divorced? my son is 10 y.o now and had no contact with his father for over a year. my ex i believe has moved to thailand and haven't attampted to call or visit my son for the last year, and even before the calls were very seldom, he also hasn't paid any maintanance. can I get divorced and is there a chance to make my ex loose his parental rights?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

You can divorce as you have been separated for more than two years. The property you have bought with your new partner is exempt from any claim by your husband. Your husband will continue to have parental rights but if he doesn't exercise them any attempt to exercise contact could be opposed. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for reply