31090051

A few months ago my partner grabbed me and left bruises on

Customer Question

a few months ago my partner grabbed me and left bruises on me which a friend has seen, my details were referred onto an abuse unit who said I may be able to press historical charges, I left it. I'm now thinking I should as have just found out he was intimidating my mother
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

Who referred you to the abuse unit?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the police must have I went to see them about harrassment, I then received a letter to say I could report historical abuse from another department in another area
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

As this type of crime is a common law crime there is no time limit on reporting or for it to be prosecuted. So you should in my view take this further to protect you and your family in the future. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know but it wasn't an actual hit it was a grab which left bruising and a subsequent instance which left no marks, I do have a witness to the bruising and my ex said it was my fault the bruising as I got it trying to get away, I don't want to do anything if he want be charged as it will only rile him more
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you want me to ask another question as I have only paid £13 for this so far?
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

If you do report it then there is every possibility that he will be charged. From your initial question I thought that was what you wanted to happen. If not, then do not take it any further.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I ONLY want to report it if he will get charged if he gets let off with it, he will say I was lying otherwise they would have charged him. He's put me through enough
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

It would be for the police to assess whether there is sufficient evidence to charge him. If you have a witness then presumably there is so you should report it.