31090051

A couple have been together for 25 years and are splitting

A couple have been together for 25 years and are splitting up. There are 2 children 13 and 17 . The father has rarely worked and purports to have been a house husband for a number of years but has had no financial input what so ever in all the 25 years . What sort of rights or claim does he have on the estate?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If the couple are married, he would be entitled to an equal share of matrimonial property. That means all property acquired during the marriage other than anything gifted to or inherited by one or other of the parties. If the couple are unmarried, he is less likely to get anything at all in the absence of any financial contribution although the court can take into account a non financial contribution if he has, for example, sacrificed a career to look after the house and children. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.