How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11258
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Living with my partner who owns the property. We share bills

Customer Question

living with my partner who owns the property. We share bills and all other things. Can I just be thrown out with nowhere to go for no reason. We live in Scotland. Thankyou
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

If you are not married you have no automatic occupancy rights in the property. However you can apply to the courts for occupancy rights for a period of six months at a time. See online section 18 of the Matrimonial Homes (Family Protection) (Scotland) Act 1981. You would see a solicitor to make the application for you and the court would take into account the circumstances of the case. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.