31090051

My partner has just entered a care home she owns the house

Customer Question

my partner has just entered a care home she owns the house what is my rights concerning the house when our finances become exhausted can they sell the home we have been partners for 35 years
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

No, they can't sell a property where you are the partner and living in the house. They may well tell you otherwise so be armed with the Revised Guidance on Charging for Residential Accommodation which you can Google for. It's on the ascottish Government website and I would refer you to paragraph 7.003 which says that a property:

"should still be disregarded where it is occupied in whole or in part by the resident's partner or former partner (except where the resident is
estranged or divorced from the partner/former partner)" I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.