31090051

Currently defending against dad. Left him when baby was

Customer Question

Currently defending against dad. Left him when baby was months old as he was abusive towards me and baby directly and I had to defend baby on several occasions. He has lied on court paperwork via his lawyer, he lied directly to sherriff in court and he is taking me to court on basis of lies otherwise could not. He has no evidence to support his lies; none whatsoever - no witnesses and nothing in writing etc. I had evidence contrary to his lies.
What are the consequences for this scenario? I cannot believe it is accepted being able to lie in legal paperwork, lie in order to bring a person to court and especially lie in the court room directly to the sherriffs face.
I have a good job, work-life-balance, support network and raise my son single handed and well. So far in defending I have been £12000 looking by the end to have spent £20-30000 defending lies. What are the consequences for the liar?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. He will be vulnerable to cross examination on what he has said and the court would have the power to find him in contempt or even to make a report of perjury to the procurator fiscal if any of his earlier statement were made on oath. At the very least the court would find him a non credible and non reliable witness. He would be found liable to pay your judicial expenses if he is no legally aided. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.