29905560

My son had an accident two months ago, unfortunately he

Customer Question

My son had an accident two months ago, unfortunately he wrote his car off but thankfully he is OK. He only had the car for 2 weeks when he hit surface water and aquaplaned. He explained to the insurance company what had happened and they said leave it to them, after a multitude of phone calls back and forth while he is trying to concentrate on a skilled job, they are now telling him that they might not pay out because he needs to prove that he was the registered owner of the car. He has contacted Dvla, they have sent him a v888 form and are now telling him that it could take up to 5 weeks to get the information they need. In all this time my son is getting more and more depressed and is finding it hard to concentrate on his job and in fact is going to see his doctor. If the doctor puts him on sick leave this will only incur more financial issues with him, we have tried to help him out, but our finances are being stretched now as well. His mum suffers from health issues as well and this is not helping. Could you please help find out just how long these things normally take or do they just please themselves when they know you want closure on these things.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Some insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with. Where did he get the car from and after his purchase of the vehicle was the registration document not sent off for his name to be registered as the keeper of the vehicle. If so has that not been issued by now?