31090051

I have a & with excellent reviews and Visit Scotland quality

Customer Question

I have a B&B with excellent reviews and Visit Scotland quality ratings. On Friday night a local man put a negative review on to my B&B's Facebook page. It was 1 out of 5, the lowest available, but he has never been a customer. He did work for a local tiler who did work at the house about four years ago. The work he did had to be re-installed by the owner. Who I paid in full. I have not met or spoken to the reviewer since he was taken off the job. What action can I take? I have spoken to the tiler who states that he does not work for him anymore. He has since stated that he spoke to him, asked him to remove the review, then was told that he would do so. I have messaged the man via Facebook and asked him to remove the review, but have not had a reply. This is Scotland.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. Do you know, or can you get, the name and address of this person? If so then you engage a solicitor and instruct the solicitor to issue a cease and desist letter to this person demanding that they remove the review. The letter should also say that if this is not done you will raise proceedings for defamation. You give them 14 days and then you sue them. This rarely necessary as the cease and desist letter is usually enough. Happy to discuss. I hope this helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have his name and his probable family home; he did live with grandparents locally. I am concerned that if I do not deal with him quickly he will do more damage. In itself Facebook is not a big deal, but I have an excellent online reputation and my income is, to an extent, based on it.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. Do what I have said then and get a cease and desist letter to him quickly.