ivorylounge
ivorylounge, Advocate
Experience:  Over 25 years experience
27487359

My husband and I are separating. We bought a house together

My husband and I are separating. We bought a house together from his Dad. He sold it to us for 30K less than it was valued. He is now trying to say that I am not entitled to half of that particular part of the equity because it was from his Dad. Is this right? He thinks I should only get half the equity it has accumulated since we bought it.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 months ago.

When was the house bought - was the discount a gift or a loan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was bought in 2008. It was a gift

Then there is no reason for the reduction that he proposes. It was gifted to both of you at the time. It thus falls within the assets of the marriage. I would be minded to get a solicitor to write to him and formally make the point. So he is not right. Please rate positive.

I hope that this answered your question. Justanswer works on people giving ratings. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.