31090051

Been barred from a public house because apparently my

Customer Question

Been barred from a public house because apparently my presence could lead to my ex partner of over a year ( who wasn't even in the pub when I was there) having an altercation with other customers!! Feel my character is trashed because of this humiliation I experienced at the weekend. Only went in for a quiet drink. Is this actually acceptable behaviour?
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I phoned the head office of the chain concerned who then emailed me back. I have in writing that due to my ex's possible behaviour I have been barred. Surely that is his problem and not mine? I do not want and have not gone in very often in the past year but at the end of the day it is my local pub and myself and my friends like to go there now and again. I have minded my own business over the year and feel so humiliated and angry to be treated like this. I caused no trouble whatsoever
My personal life should not have anything to do with bar staff
Expert:  JGM replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. It really isn’t acceptance behaviour as you appear to have been discriminated against without actually having done anything wrong. However the question is what can you do about it? If anything defamatory has been said about you then that is actionable by you against the individuals concerned. However it is also that case that a publican has sole discretion as to who can come onto his premises, or not as the case may be. What you can do, however, is make noises about reporting the way you have been treated to the licensing board and that may caution them to deal with this a bit more reasonably as no licencee wants unnecessary attention from the licensing board. Apart from that, however, that is really all you can do. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.