ivorylounge
ivorylounge, Advocate
Experience:  Over 25 years experience
27487359

I would like some to clearify what I should expect. A few

Customer Question

Hi there, I would like some to clearify what I should expect.
A few days ago a did a stupid decision while I was in a shop in Scotland. I shopliftted a £3 item and got caught. I never did such a thing before and still can't believe why I did it. I didn't go in the shop with the intention to shoplift. I only decided to walk out an not pay after I put the item in my pocket while I was browsing for other items to buy for about 40 mins. I stupidly reasoned the situation that now that it is already in my pocket, it is of a small value and not buying anything else I can walk out without paying for this small item. This is not an excuse I'm making for my action but just to clarify that I didn't go in the shop with an intention to shoplift. I know that what I did is still wrong and I'm ashamed with it.
Anyways, after leaving the shop I was stopped and taken to the store's security room. I was asked how it happend and why I decided to do so. I admitted my faults immediately, handed them the item and showed them what I had in my bag and the reciepts of the items I bought before from other stores in the same shopping mall. They asked for details and gave them my driving licence, from which they copied details on a form. After about half an hour or more the security guy said that I can leave. Before I left I asked what is going to happen next. His reply was that he has more important things to deal with and that I'm not allowed back in that particular store. But he did mention before that I might be contacted in the future. The police were not called in as long as I was there.
Can I still be called in by the police?
Can the shop pass my details to the police without me knowing, which will be recorded and shown on a disclosure report when applying for a job?
I really appreciate any help because I'm so worried about this and can't stop thinking about it. I did get the lesson not to do any stupid thing again but I'm worried that this might affect my job and career.
Thanks in advance.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 25 days ago.

Let me see if I can help and please remember to rate positive. The shop can contact the police should they so wish. It would not however be recorded without your knowledge. That said, and this is key for an item with such a small value this would usually be the end of the issue. The police are really not very interested in theft of such small value and nor are many shops as long as you do not attempt to visit them again. I would be very sure that this is the end of it. Please rate.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Another question please. I already apologised to the security when I admitted my actions. Is there a need to contact the shop manager to do a formal apology to the company? Or is it better to leave it like this and let it go?Thanks in advance.

I would simply leave it. Let it go.

I hope that this answered your question. Justanswer works on people giving ratings. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
If they decide to report to the police what should I expect to happen?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
for how long should I wait till something happen, if it had to happen?

If they report it then in all likelihood nothing would happen - up to 6 months.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks a lot for the help. Your advice was really helpful.
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 24 days ago.

Pleasure