31090051

The home I shared with my partner for 17 years was in his

Hi. The home I shared with my partner for 17 years was in his name but after I discovered he had spent all the money that was invested in it and not paid the mortgage for 2 years I managed to buy it off him and cleared all the debts (this was at a reduced value to the market value). Shortly after, he left the home as 'it was apparent we could not live together anymore' (his words). The titles are solely in my name but he keeps threatening me that he has spoken to lawyers and that I have acted illeagally and that I should settle out of court and he wants a share of the property. Can you please advise me if this is true and if he is entitled to anything? I live in Scotland, if that has any relevance to the situation. Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. When did you separate?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He left the house at the end of January 2017
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

The reason I ask is that he has until a year from the separation to make a claim in court under section 28 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006. After that he would not be able to claim as the house is in your name. Even if he does claim he would have to prove that he had contributed to the relationship in a way that he was entitled to be cpmensted in some way for his contribution. From what you say that would not be the case as you had to pay off debt and effectively salvage what there was. So currently he has made no contribution for which he should be compensated. I would resist his attempts to intimidate you. Happy to discuss this further. In the meantime I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's very helpful. Thank you