ivorylounge
ivorylounge, Advocate
Experience:  Over 25 years experience
27487359

I bought a house that was described and pictured as a 'semi

I bought a house that was described and pictured as a 'semi derelict' property. When we viewed it, it had a roof floor and was indeed semi derelict. When we went to see the property after we bought it, it had been completed raised to the ground. Surely we should have been told that the condition had changed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 1 month ago.

Yes you should have been told about this change in the description. You should contact your solicitors who acted for you in the purchase. You may wish to seek clarification from them as to why they were not aware of this change and also seek clarification from the sellers. This may well be a case of no disclosure, of negligence or indeed potentially fraud.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I spoke to the solicitor who did the conveyancing and he just kept saying the missives say a derelict house that's what you got.

Well you would need to be clear as to exactly what it says and what you were told. This is absolutely vital. Sometimes it is a good idea to go to a new firm of solicitors and they can investigate the solicitor's papers/file and check that they were or were not negligent on your behalf.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will try as I have no choice I can't afford to renovate the house at its current state of repair.

Well you should. I hope that this answered your question. Justanswer works on people giving ratings. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No problem. I will. Lawyer just said seller wasn't contacted by the police so they had no knowledge of the fire. And again I have no come back.

Well just because they weren't notified by the police does not mean that they had no knowledge. Also was there insurance in place either with them or you.

I hope that this answered your question. Justanswer works on people giving ratings. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was no insurance on their part as far as I know. I just got it on Thursday. Went to see it on Saturday or what was left of it. He said it was sold without a guarantee.

You may wish to investigate whether he had valid insurance at the time. Please remember to rate for me. Thanks