31090051

My husband and I are separating after 11 years of being

My husband and I are separating after 11 years of being together, however we have only been married for 4 years. The family home was purchased in his name only prior to our wedding although I have regularly paid other bills. The mortgage is now paid off in full. He is adamant that the house is his and I am not entitled to any share of it. We live in Scotland. I have 2 children to a previous relationship and No children with my husband. Am I entitled to any share of the house ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Was the house bought in contemplation of the marriage? If so then it is termed “matrimonial property” and you are entitled to a fair share of it. So your husband is wrong if the house was bought as a family home even if it was put in his name. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.