31090051

I have received a letter from CSA stating I need to pay

Customer Question

I have received a letter from CSA stating I need to pay child maintenance for my daughter who is is 18 and at Art college 3 days a week, plus works on a zero hours contract doing hospitality. I have paid maintenance for over 10 years, but this has always been via mutual agreement with my ex.
I stopped the payment when my daughter turned 18 in June, and we agreed that I would give her anything she needed when she needed it, that was working well I thought.
The csa have cauluated my salary at £8k more than I am on and told me that they won’t review this for 1 year so I need to pay it
What can I do if anything?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

Why are they asking you to pay child maintenance? Ailment for a child over 18 should be paid directly by the parent to the child.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Why do I need to pay at all when she is 18 only at college 3 days an working also
Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

The fact she is working may have an effect on the amount but not the principal. The reason you have to pay at all is section 1(1) and section 1(5) of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985 which says that you, and the mother, are liable to aliment a child who is reasonably and appropriately undergoing a course of education or training for employment.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Until what age?
Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

Until a maximum of age 25.